Sunday, October 5, 2008

support-system

How important is the word 'support'?

I searched tru my friendly desktop dictionary (Microsoft® Encarta® Reference Library 2003) for me to have a brief description abt the word SUPPORT. I choose this one:
  • be present and give encouragement: to give encouragement to somebody or something by being present at an event
*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

Recently, my brother, Andrew, was included in their school's basketball varsity. Yay for this! :D He really has the potential of being a good basketball player. *play with him if you want to... he's good!*

He enjoys playing basketball. But his performance were not that superb compared to his team-mates since he just started last summer. But as their Coach said "baby steps muna..." And in a short period of time, Andrew developed the basic skills in basketball such as dribbling the ball & passing it properly. That's an amazing thing! Something to be proud of.

The school (San Benildo Integrated School/ SBIS) is playing every Sunday in different institutions w/ some of the top-ranking schools (such as Don Bosco, San Beda, San Agustin, etc.). I'm not sure of what's the name of the league itself but one thing's for sure... it's their chance to show their talents and skills in basketball... and to prove to everybody that they have what it takes to play and win the game!


Now here's the word 'support' enter the picture.

I've seen parents, families & close friends in the league of the young athletes watch their games, cheering them w/ full support. But with Andrew and majority of his team-mates... their parents don't even bother to watch and come to their games in a weekend for them to support their children.

In our case, our father's working out-of-town and he really can't come since the management's really strict. If he's available, he would watch my brother in a daily basis (every weekend/Sunday).
Our mother now is sort of the villain. Why do I say so? She use alot of excuse for her not to attend the game.

Here are some of her excuses:
-> "I'm not interested in watching Basketball!"

-> "I don't want to sit in a wooden stall/chair for a long time. It's pain in the ass!"
*ugh there's what we call 'plastic chairs'...

-> "I have so many things to do!" <-- this is cRAP! I should say.

Now that's what I call 'support' from a mother! Can you believe that! D:< she even said this to my brother's face! :(

So here's super ate (big sister) to the rescue! >:D yippie~ haha

For 2 consecutive Sundays, I attended my brother's game. I even sacrificed alot of my original plans for the weekend (ex. take-home work, conventions).
Win or Lose. I'm present! *w00t*


Then last night, I visited our grandmother after the mass. I told the whole scenario to her. She told me that a mother should really support her children, especially if its extra-curricular activities. If she can come and join us she would watch my brother play & cheer for him~

My tita added, who's also there " It is important to show your child that you give (moral) support. It will give the boosting power for him to do well in his activities... and the child will remember that tru the years."

I agree. *nods*

I love my little brother so much, as if he's my own.
*and getting those crappy statements from his team-mates, they thought I was his mom!*

I don't want him to be one of those kids na mapapariwara (will lose their way) just because they didn't experience & feel that 'support' from their love ones/ parents.

So as long as I am here, even if my parents are not around, I'll do whatever it takes to support him.

Of course as long as it will not affect his studied :D

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you need to support the weaker walls of the house... buti na lang andyan ang ate para suportahan si andrew sa hilig niya...